.

.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

thrift store re-purposing....


I have a heart for junk!  I do.  I make no excuses.  When I see a shoe along side of the road with no match... I'm sad.  Are you??  So when I saw this for $1.00 because he had been in a fire {cue the "ain't no body got time for this"} I couldn't pass it up.


*****


I stopped off at the dollar tree for a piece of foam board. And quickly cut it to fit.  {I had to tape it up the middle but work with me people- we are trying to do things on the cheap around here}.  Sure I could have gone to Michaels and gotten a piece perfectly cut to fit the mammoth frame.. but that would have been $$$$$.  And that would have been too easy {wink wink }.


*****


Next I glued some burlap to the foam board- easy as pie.


*****

Also- I gave the frame a couple of coats of leftover front door paint {Ben Moore- rock bottom}
Then I added the burlap mat to the frame with hot glue.


*****


Lastly I wanted to finish him up with some snazzy hardware... so I used some brassy tacks.  These give it a more polished look & help hold the mat in place.


*****


I hung him in the hallway- it's our "wall of fame".
 The kiddos get to display their art & school work.


*****


so total cost for the project:
frame = $1.00
paint = free {leftover}
foam board = $1.00
burlap = free {on hand}
brass tacks = {98 cents at Wally}

$3.00- whoot whoot!!



No comments:

Post a Comment