.

.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

{it could happen to anyone...}


Have you ever had one of those moments where you are surprised at your own reaction? I did recently & I am SO thankful for it! Let me begin by telling you that my husband works very long hours, nearly everyday {including meetings weekly}, & is on-call 2 weeks & weekends out of the month. Needless-to-say his time is precious to ALL of us. The A-man asks me {nearly} everyday if "Daddy has a meeting tonight" or "is it Daddy's 1/2 day"- Joey gets about 2 afternoons off a month. Usually during those 2 afternoons he goes biking {his 2nd passion in life next to watching Star Wars with the A-man}. Then he works it out to pick Prissy up for me on his way home- it's a win/win for ALL! Which brings me to the point of this story- YES I have one. The other afternoon he was pulling into the driveway {I heard the garage}. Then, I heard this horrible crash... I had often wondered what would happen if he forgot that his bike was on top his car. After all he is human & I did ask him to: pick up some milk at the market on his way, return a call from the office, & pick up the mail - {all of which were after he finished biking}. So when I heard the crash- I knew what it was immediately. I opened wide the door & saw my sweet husband still sitting in the car with his head down. I slipped on my shoes & opened up his door. "Honey" I said "that could have happened to anyone!" {and I surprised both him & myself}. He smiled at that point. I helped him get the bike down, he assessed the damage, & I swept up the pile of our once upon a time motion light.... He hugged me again for saying what I did & we never spoke of it again. NOW fast forward to last week. I was on my way to pick up Prissy from ballet & saw a tag sale.... Y'all now I have no self control. I ended up getting a HUGE bookshelf that just so happened to fit perfectly into my NEW car. I tried to be so careful, but in the end.... I scratched the bumper pretty bad. I felt that sick feeling that you get when you know you are going to get in trouble! Does that ever go away? I stewed the whole way to ballet. When I got there I borrowed a black Sharpe permanent marker to try to "lesson" the obvious disaster. To no avail I swallowed my pride & begged Prissy to keep the secret. Then I felt even worse. "Never mind Prissy" I said in what I believe to be my most pitiful voice ever. "Momma doesn't keep secrets from Daddy, I'm sorry that I asked you to." "That's okay Momma- I won't say anything anyway" she winked. Again- (Mother of the Year) now my child feels like she is in cahoots with me... So we pulled into the drive- only to find Joey home from his meeting early. Ordinarily this would thrill me- NOT this night. I quickly asked Cooner to come outside {she was visiting}. She said we could take it to the body shop tomorrow & no one would have to know. I {heart} a mother's love- it's the next best thing to Jesus! Then I decided to come clean.... "Joey" I whispered through the garage door hoping he wouldn't hear me "could you help me unload something". In what seemed like seconds, he was there. I pointed to the scratch {a very loose term to say the least}. He did what any guy does I guess & ran his finger over it... Then he said & I'll NEVER forget it- "Babe- it could have happened to anyone!" Y'all I cried right then & there! I hugged that man the biggest hug that he had ever been given. Then I smiled knowing that this life is ALL about choosing the right reaction.


p.s. My reading through the bible in a year homework included this today...

Proverbs 21:19
"It is better to live in a desert land than with a quarrelsome and fretful woman."



1 comment:

  1. Dear Sweet Daughter, I am so happy to hear about your ways together. That is how marriage should be. None of us are perfect. And when we do fall short, God forbid, we can always fall back with our biggest fans, our partners for life. I hope everyone reads this that can relate or are married. Because we always need someone in our corner that we can share the bad times with. That won't blame us or quarrel, but listen to our frantic voices & say it ill be alright at the end of the day, what is important? As Candice says "How Divine?"

    ReplyDelete