.

.

Thursday, April 05, 2012

{Death Star Piñata...}


YES! I have lost my mind, but y'all expected it right??? What Jedi Training Academy would be complete without a Death Star? Well... I'll tell you NONE! I looked in to buying one off of Etsy for a mere $50.00 then saw a soccer ball piñata that may or may not have been easily converted into the Death Star for $20. Finally- I decided to try my hand a paper mache. Have any of y'all ever tried it?


*****


First I got some re-cycled newspapers = FREE & enlisted my sweet little Prissy to cut them into strips.


*****


Then I blew up 1 {of a 3 pack} of punching balloons from the dollar tree. They seemed very durable & cheap + they are bigger than the average balloon.


*****


I found a great easy & CHEAP recipe for paper mache. It's just 1 cup flour + 2 cups water. It works perfect trust me. Since this project I have assisted my 8 yr old in making a complete volcano out of the stuff!


*****


Start dipping the strips {careful not to get too much paste- we popped our first balloon pretty early on}. I think the combination of TOO much air + TOO much paste = disaster in the kitchen. The 2nd time was without any glitches.


*****


We added a coat of paper then let it dry for 24 hrs then added another layer. We did 3 layers total. Then popped the balloon inside, pulled it out, & strung it up with fishing line.


*****


Next I painted it gray & we let it dry for another 24 hrs. {Note this project although super cheap= takes a couple of days so start it before the night before your party- TRUST me!!}


*****



Then I proudly showed my husband who said "where is the green laser?" "What laser" I said with a bit of an attitude {that I'm not proud of}. I googled the darned thing only to find... yep a stink'n laser! So I pulled out some neon green party picks that Cooner sent me years ago. Hot glued them on & called it a "laser". Then I got sorta crazy & drew some squares all over the thing. Now I feel a little attached to it & may save it from all the Younglings that are gonna try to destroy it........ So total cost of this little masterpiece= less that $1.00!


*****


#1. invitation
#2. Death Star Piñata
#3. Ewok Village
#4. Jedi robes
#5. Jedi training course & games
#6. Jedi badges & party printables
#7. Jedi certificates
#8. Princess Leia hair pieces
#9. download Star Wars soundtrack
#10. Galactic Grub Menu


*****


Much to do my little Padawans.... I'll see you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment