.

.

Friday, April 01, 2011

{ruffle lampshade tutorial}



Okay y'all here it is.... the Ruffled Lampshade Tutorial! Prissy has given me the go-ahead to transform EVERY lampshade that we have.... but Joey thinks we should stop @ 2 {but maybe I can convince him when he sees that they are going for a fortune in Etsy stores??}.


*****
Anyway here is all you need:
Fabric {I used crib sheets- I know that sounds ridiculous, but that was all I had on hand in white}, a sewing machine or just thread, a ruler, and scissors {unless you have one of those really fancy wheel cutters & mat- which I DON'T have & would LOVE... hint hint wink wink}.


*****
First- measure your lampshade. This little one in my sewing room was 8 inches. I decided to do 4 ruffles with 2 & 1/2 inch strips, but for the bigger shade in the foyer {9 inches and much wider} I went for 3 ruffles with about 3 & 1/2 inch strips.


*****


and NO I am NOT breaking any child-labor laws.... she genuinely likes being with me {despite this expression} & helping... I {love} that about her!!!


*****


Next cut your fabric into strips and iron {I know that sounds old-school, but it makes ALL of your projects look more professional}.


*****

Then without back stitching, sew a straight seam right down the middle of the strips


*****


Next gently pull one string end and gather it until they look something like these...


*****

Finally start from the bottom of the shade {so you can overlap easily as you go} and hot glue the ruffles on your shade.


*****


here is what 2 layers look like...


*****

and this is what perfection looks like! Isn't she precious? All in about 30 minutes {and that includes fixing some Lego catastrophes during the ruffling part}...


*****

Now go cut up your sheets... or at least cut some fabric...
I know you can do it & that's NO fooling!
~Good Luck~


No comments:

Post a Comment