.

.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"my dreams have come true..."


There is eternal influence & power in motherhood. As a young woman in college I remember our Youth Pastor Matt talking about praying for our "future spouse". I went home that day & thought about my future family. I remember having thoughts about my husband-to-be & I found it fascinating to think that he was somewhere in the world & I just didn't know him yet. I decided that night I would pray for my future husband. I didn't know him but I knew God did. I mostly prayed the same thing every night. "Please bless him to have a good day tomorrow." A couple weeks before we were engaged, Joey & I were having one or our MANY long-distant LONG great phone conversations (you really learn so much about people on the phone). Toward the end of the evening I asked him "Have you had a lot of good days?" He asked me why. I told him that I had been praying a prayer for him to have good days since I was about 18. (Nearly 5 years)

As I went to check on my sleeping children last night I looked at their sweet little faces & was overwhelmed with emotion. Have you ever just sat & watched a child sleep? It has to be one of the most peaceful things in the world. As I watched them, I thought of the countless times I prayed for them too. And here they are. The little ones I dreamed about.
I have always dreamed of being a wife & a mother and sometimes I forget that I am living that childhood dream. I pause as I am putting lotion on my freshly bathed A-man and pause as I am brushing Prissy's hair, & realize that this is indeed what I dreamed of. I wonder if I am living up to the aspirations of that little girl inside of me. Am I the mother that I hoped I would become? Because the children are here now & motherhood is not in the future. It is in the now. I recommit myself, as I am finding myself do a lot lately, to becoming the wife & mother that I hoped I would be.


I saw a funny bumper sticker yesterday on a beat-up jalopy. It read:
"Don't be fooled by my car, my treasure is really in heaven."
Is my treasure in heaven? I believe it is &
I believe my home is heaven on earth.



2 comments:

  1. What a great blog today Ashly!!! Great books to ponder... but I am sure that you have already read them... Power of the Praying Wife... and Power of the Praying Mother!

    LOVE YA!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Power of the Praying wife & bits of the other. GREAT reads-

    ReplyDelete